Monday, June 21, 2010

Remembering Our Wedding Day


This part of Courtney's challenge came at a good time as my husband and I just celebrated 11 years of marriage this past Friday. It's hard to believe it's been so long! Marriage is one of the most wonderful things that ever happened to me next to my relationship with Jesus Christ. It has been a beautiful 11 years! However, I'm supposed to talk about our wedding day as part of the challenge (click the button above for details):



We chose to be married on a Friday evening instead of the usual Saturday afternoon wedding. We didn't see each other at all on our wedding day until I walked down the aisle. We had a traditional church wedding. The wedding went as planned except for two small things. The evening before the wedding, one of our singers lost her voice totally. Thankfully, they were able to find a substitute who had sung with them before. Also, because of my veil (when I say traditional, I mean traditional!), I couldn't get my candle to blow out in the unity candle ceremony. My husband had to blow it out for me! Despite how it looked, I was perfectly willing to extinguish my individual flame to enter the one-flesh relationship designed by God. However, I did want to avoid catching my clothes on fire before repeating my vows!


 We had a lovely reception provided by some family members as their wedding gift to us. We spent the weekend at a nearby cabin (a wedding gift from my parents--as if they hadn't done enough--remember we were traditional, meaning my sweet daddy footed the bill for the wedding), then my new husband took me to a chalet in the mountains of Tennessee to spend the next week.


I know this isn't always the case, but our wedding and honeymoon were only a lovely foretaste of the blessed marriage we have had. Sure, we've had adjustments as neither of us are perfect (though he comes close!), but trusting God to build our marriage has paid off in big dividends.

5 comments:

  1. Congradulation!

    your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read where a wife speaks so highly of her husband. It is like a breath of fresh air. Your husband would likely say the same about you! I, too, am blessed with a wonderful Christian husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were such a pretty bride! Hope you are having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words. Yes, Anonymous, my husband spoils me rotten so I try to do the same for him. When we're both doing this, it is truly a marriage made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete