Monday, June 1, 2009

Spiritual Life Week: Allegories

According to my new blog schedule, this is spiritual life week. I had something planned for this week, but as I was looking through some old files I found an article I wrote some time ago and began thinking of allegories. Since I'm doing something really different this week, I thought I owed you a post of explanation.

From John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress to C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia to Ted Dekker's Black, White and Red; I love stories that not only entertain but have application to my spiritual life. It's kind of like a treasure hunt for the mind: what's beneath the surface? My mind works rather strangely, I admit, but I have found some of Disney's works to be allegories. I know, Disney rewrote some classic fairy tales--they weren't all his original works. However, as a child, I enjoyed the "classic" Disney stories and have enjoyed reading them to my own children.

This week, I'm going to share in three parts my own interpretation of a story most, if not all, of us know well. What does this have to do with being a wife, mother, and keeper of the home? Much! Am I straying from my original purpose of this blog? Not at all. I firmly believe that if our spiritual life is not in order, we miss our whole purpose for marriage, parenting and keeping the home.

So, stay with me. The message of the story I will discuss this week may convict you, may anger you or may resonate with you from your own experience. You may want to prepare by raiding your child's bookshelf and reading again the story of.....



No comments:

Post a Comment