Monday, April 6, 2009

Book and Link Week: Marriage

Since the first quarter of 2009 has officially drawn to a close, I would like to share some of the things I've learned with you. As you probably know, I have a list of books in the sidebar that I am attempting to read. I also have a stack from the library that hasn't even made it to the sidebar yet! The same story with my Google Reader...so many good blogs to follow, so little time.

To keep my list from taking over the whole blog, I decided to report on the good ones I've read by subject, then clear the list and start again. I must make a confession before I begin. I am a perfectionist and I hate to cross off a book if I haven't read all of it. However, not all of the books in the sidebar have been completely read. I admit, I did skip the acknowledgments...o.k. and in some cases, whole chapters. There, I said it. Now that it's out in the open, let's see what my reading has taught me about.....MARRIAGE.

I've only read one book specifically about marriage although several of the books have addressed it. The following are books on general womanhood that I enjoyed:

Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman by Anne Ortlund was a re-read for me, an all-time favorite. Anne helps to establish our priorities and practical helps for meeting our goals as God's women.

When the Fairy Dust Settles by Janet Parshall and Sarah Parshall Perry was a very interesting set of letters between mother and daughter about important issues women face.

Fearlessly Feminine by Jani Ortlund was a refreshing book giving insight on what it means to be feminine and why we should not be ashamed to be so.

Now to the book that was very specifically about marriage: When Two Become One by Christopher and Rachel McCluskey. This is a very good resource for Christian married couples. I would not recommend it to anyone not married because there's a big "blush factor" involved. However, if you're not afraid of a little tasteful but plain language, it is a practical but spiritual look at what intimacy really is.

I'll leave you with this interesting link I found regarding marriage:
Modern American Dating

Disclaimer: If you read anything that I've recommended here, please don't check your brain at the door. The only infallible book is the Word of God, so my recommendation does not mean that everything in these books is necessarily correct or that I agree with everything that is in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment