Thursday, April 11, 2013

Happy Birthday, Shakespeare!

Guess what? William Shakespeare turns 449 on April 23! That ought to make us all feel young! =)  In honor of the great bard's upcoming birthday, I though I would share a couple of poems with you all. 

This first poem is one that I have really come to love.  In March of 2012, as we traveled together for the very solemn occasion of visiting my 42-year-old uncle for the very last time before his passing just days later, my aunt was reading the book entitled Green Leaf in Drought by Isobel Kuhn.  She ran across this poem and asked the rest of us to analyze it with her to see if we could discover its meaning.  As we read and re-read this bit of verse, it became clear that it was special.  I won't muddy the waters by giving you my interpretation of it, but instead I will share it here with you.


Child of My love, lean hard,

And let Me feel the pressure of thy care,

I know thy burden, child; I shaped it,

Poised in Mine own hand, made no proportion

In its weight to thine unaided strength;

For even as I laid it on I said,

“I shall be near, and while she leans on Me,

this burden shall be Mine, not hers;

so shall I keep My child within the circling arms,

of Mine own love.”  Here lay it down, nor fear

to impose it on a shoulder which upholds

The government of worlds. Yet closer come,

Thou are not near enough; I would embrace thy care,

So I might feel My child reposing on My breast.

Thou lovest me? I know it.  Doubt not, then,

But, loving Me, lean hard.

Selected, From the book Green Leaf in Drought by Isobel Kuhn
 
 
Wow...if we could only live as though we truly understood the full impact of these statements, what peace we could all enjoy!  Okay.  Here's one more.  I'm no Shakespeare, but I enjoy dabbling once in a while in the art of poetry.  This is one of those non-rhyming poems that just came from my heart last September.  I wasn't sure it would even make sense to anyone other than myself.  But, here it is.  Such as it is!  =) And thanks for taking time to read it!


My heart is so heavy today.
The causes or reasons
          I choose not to explain.
We each have a mountain to climb...
         You...and me...
They may be different
          But both are mountains just the same.

It takes more strength than I have on my own
To even face that mountain...
         Let alone climb it.

         I do not want the mountain.
         I hate the mountain.

                         But...

I love the God Who made that mountain
         And gave it to me.
He made it...
         Not with my abilities or strengths in mind
         But with His own
               glorious love,
                     tender care,
                            and powerful, burden-bearing
                                    everlasting arms.

 You cannot climb your mountain in your own strength.
I am not even sure I can help you.
My own task daily overwhelms my senses
         And takes my breath away.

                          But...

I can ask God to be to you all that He has promised He would be!
         I can cheer you on!
                  I can celebrate with you in your victories!
                           I can love you as others have loved me!
                                    I can share with you how God has blessed me!

God has blessed me to be a blessing.
He has granted me one more breath...
          one more moment with my family...
                    one more gorgeous sunset to enjoy...
                              one more day to try again...
         and the strength to take
                 one
                       more
                              step
                                    up the side of my mountain.

~ written by Shawna Wright, Sept. 2012

 Do you all have favorite poems you would like to share or tell us about?  How does poetry speak to you?  Let us know you are out there by sharing your thoughts and comments below.  We always love to hear from you!

Hoping Spring is finally here to stay,

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment