Monday, August 20, 2012

It's a Matter of Trust


There are a lot of things I don't understand. Why are some passages of Scripture so hard to comprehend? Why do some people seem to get more than their share of difficulties? Why do children have to suffer? In issues of doctrine about which good, godly people disagree, who is right?

We're told in the Bible to study (2 Timothy 2:15), and to be ready to give an answer (1st Peter 3:15) but, sometimes, try as we might, we simply can't grasp everything. 

Sometimes, it seems hard to grasp anything.

Some questions can be answered, but the answers aren't easy ones. For instance, the questions I listed above, basically, "Why do good things happen to bad people?" Our world is literally sick with sin. That's the reason for sickness and suffering; it's all the result of sin. But, some questions, though answerable, just don't go away. 

 In today's society we're taught to find the answer to everything.With the internet it's easier than ever to find information on every topic imaginable. But, even with all that knowledge at our fingertips, we can't answer all the questions that plague humanity. 

That's not easy for me to accept. I've always wanted to know why. But that's not how God works. 

Call me simplistic, but I think it all boils down to this: God is God, and it's not our job to try to be Him. It's our job to trust. 

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, 
neither are your ways my ways, 
saith the LORD. 
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, 
so are my ways higher than your ways, 
and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-10

Some would say that simply trusting  is foolish...downright stupid. Unbelievers point their fingers at us, mock us, and call us idiots. Let them! I still choose to leave the tough stuff up to the God who made it all. It's His...all of it...and He knows what He's doing. Why would we choose to turn our backs on Him and put our faith in human reasoning? That is the height of foolishness. 

I've heard people say that they'll finally know all the answers when they get to Heaven. I tend to think that when we get there, it just won't matter anymore. 

Until then, we have to leave it all in His hands...His very capable, loving hands. 

It's a matter of trust.


2 comments:

  1. I love this, and I am proud of you for learning this at a MUCH younger age than I was when I made the discovery! Thank you for pointing out one very basic principle of the Christian life. If we trust Him to take us to Heaven after this life is over, then surely we can trust Him to keep us through all the trials of this life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! And thank you, Glenda, for always encouraging me.

      ~Jessica

      Delete