Tuesday, February 7, 2012

True Love


Valentine's Day is right around the corner. (Oh, you forgot? Well, you now have almost a week's warning. You're welcome.) Of course the first word that comes to mind when I think of this holiday is "love". Well, right after "roses" and "chocolate". Next Tuesday, people everywhere will be expressing their love and appreciation to sweethearts, spouses, parents, children, in-laws, out-laws, and even bosses and co-workers. It's the syrupy-est, sweetest, sugariest day of the year but, sadly, a day in which many untruths are told.  

Words are cheap. Take these three words, for example: "I love you". They're tossed around with little or no thought about what they truly mean. Everybody just loves everybody and it's so...untrue. Ever had someone say those words to you, and you knew they didn't really mean it? Yeah, so have I. Matter of fact, it's always been a little bit difficult for me to say "I love you". Maybe I take it too seriously...I don't know. But you can be sure of this, if I say it, I mean it. 

"Now, just a minute!" you exclaim. "We have to love everybody to get to Heaven!" Very true. Still, those words are precious and meaningful and they should only be spoken in sincerity. Love is a precious thing. Someone who has suffered heartache because of a lack of love on the part of someone dear to their heart, whether it be a spouse, family member, or friend, understands this. The heart is bruised and bleeding, and trust is gradually broken down until it's difficult if not impossible to muster it again. 

I don't mean to put a downer on this holiday. In fact, I like Valentine's Day, and I'm blessed with a wonderful husband who loves me. But there are hurting people around us who need love, are practically starved for it, but who have been hurt so badly that they can no longer believe that anyone loves them. 

Maybe you're one of them.

I know Someone Else who has spoken those words, "I love you", over and over again, to everyone who will listen, and they're just as true each time He speaks them. No one has ever meant them more. After all, He created love. He IS love. And He loves you. 

Do you feel unloved? Has your trust in love been broken and you've "sworn" that you'll never love again? Love Himself  reaches out to you, and He'll never betray your trust. He loves you, always and no matter what, even if that seems hard to believe. He loves you enough to take you just as you are, and make you into what He wants you to be.  

"God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be just like Jesus." ~Max Lucado

If you're hurting and longing for true love, you'll find it right here. In Him. You don't have to make yourself lovable or even likable. He already loves you more than you could possibly imagine. Yield to that love and allow Him to change you, to make you whole. 


"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." ~John 3:16

He loves you. He really does. 



2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Jessica, and very timely. It seems that much of the world has no idea what true, sacrificial love really is. Unless we have known Him, our love is based only on a feeling, and we all know how fickle those feelings can be. Thank you for bringing this to our attention today. .....And, I DO love you! :-) Maybe, someday, we'll meet in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, "Unknown", (though I know who you are):)and I love you, too. I hope we'll get to meet in person! You've been such a blessing to me. Thank you, and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete