Friday, February 17, 2012

Thrifty, Penny-Pinching Parties (and the Party Food!)

Parties are fun! Love planning one and enjoy attending, too! I have won several Houseparty parties which I have greatly enjoyed sharing with friends and families. Check it out at www.houseparty.com.

It is my joy to look at all the lovely parties that are in my Facebook friends' pictures! WOW! They are amazing. Mine are usually pretty low-key due to financing and time-constraints.

Each year I attempt to plan a family party for each of my children. The theme changes according to their desire. Below are few pictures of what we have done. Several times I have made homemade cakes. Other times I purchase them from stores due to lack of time. Two of my children's birthdays are just a week a part so we usually celebrate at Thanksgiving when we make the trip to our parent's homes. That is the same week that I strive to complete my Christmas decorating at home while the children spend a couple days at their grandparents'. Here are few quick, simple party recipes that are favorites. (I am all about ease and quickness!)

Simple Cheese Ball
2 8oz pkgs. of cream cheese - softened
1/4 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce
1 5 oz. pkg. of corned beef (diced)
Sprinkling of onion powder or diced green onion tops
½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together on low speed. Form into round ball. Refrigerate.

Salami Roll-ups

Spread a layer of softened cream cheese on sliced salami. Roll up and refrigerate.

Dill Pickle Ham Pinwheels
Take a slice of deli ham, spread cream cheese on it,then roll the ham up around a whole dill pickle. Refrigerate an hour, then slice into pinwheels.

Taco Dip
1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
1 8 oz. of sour cream
½ pkg. of taco mix
Mix together. Serve with tortilla chips

Taco Dip

1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
1 8 oz. of sour cream
Mix together (some add taco mix…I don’t) Spread into flat dish. Pour jar of salsa evenly over mixture. Sprinkle with thinly sliced lettuce, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

Cocktail Sausages
1 lb. pkg. of lil’ smokies
1 bottle of barbeque sauce
Place in crockpot on high until bubbly then turn to warm.

Simple and Delectable Fruit Dip
1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
1 16 oz. container of marshmellow crème
Melt together in microwave. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Serve with a variety of fruits, apples, mandarin oranges, grapes, strawberries, pineapple chunks, kiwi slices, etc. (love this for breakfast or hors d’ oeuvres)

Pork Barbeque Sandwiches
1 Pork loin (Pounds depends on number being fed. Generally I can purchase these for $1.57 to $1.99 a lb. About the most reasonable meat to feed a larger number.)
Cook until fall apart tender. Then place in crockpot or on stove top pan. Smother in barbeque sauce of your choice.
Serve on buns along with sliced cheese

So enough recipes shared! Those are ones in my personal memory bank. Back to simple, easy, cost-saving party ideas. I am known for keeping anything and not throwing it away. I have boxes of various decorating things. Usually I can come up with something that I have saved from another party or discovered on clearance. There are times when I visit dollar stores to finish out the theme that has been requested.

Cakes I  Made with a Bee Theme
Store made cake for train and horse theme
    
You have to be imaginative when you are doing a boy and girl theme together. Hence, horses running through the fields while a train is on the tracks. Smile!


Homemade but used previous birthday store bought accessories. I am not professional, but it satisfied a 5 year old.

Another girl/boy party….homemade cupcakes with help from 2 nephews, an aunt and mommy! I was thrilled how these turned out. The monkey idea I got online and the balls. I just thought it could be accomplished and with family’s help, and it was!




My children have never requested fanciful parties for which I am grateful. To me, the most important ingredient is love and family time. Keep those things top priority and any party will be fun!

1 comment:

  1. Those recipes are great! When is our next party night? - Aaron (Tonya's husband - I borrowed her laptop for a few minutes and this page was up!)

    ReplyDelete