Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Being Thankful for Our Children

Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate. (Psalms 127:3-5 ESV)


And when Esau lifted up his eyes and saw the women and children, he said, “Who are these with you?” Jacob said, “The children whom God has graciously given your servant.” (Genesis 33:5 ESV)


But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. (Mark 10:14 KJV)


It's that time of year again. Time to count our blessings and to give thanks. And one of the things for which I'm most thankful is...the privilege to be a parent. 

When I think of those who have a longing for children of their own, those whose arms ache to hold a little one, but are still empty, my heart bleeds for them. It's hard to understand why some haven't been given this joy...and why I have. It makes me think once again of how undeserving but how abundantly blessed I am.

I think of little children who are suffering; those without parents, or with parents who can't or don't show love for them. I hurt for those little ones who aren't appreciated; who live with a feeling of worthlessness because they aren't seen as the gifts they really are. 


In our society, we aren't taught to value children. Not really. And that's tragic. There's no question about how God views children. They aren't problems, burdens, tax deductions, pests, or little pains. They're blessings! Rewards! Precious gifts! 

I know I don't realize this as I should. Am I thankful for my children? Certainly! I love them so much it hurts. But, do I show them that I'm thankful for them? Do I tell them? Or do I just expect them to automatically know it just because I try to keep them clothed, fed, and reasonably clean? 

When I'm thankful for something someone has done for me, or something that has been given to me, I express my thanks to the individual. Do I express thanks to God for these, His greatest blessings? Do I let my children know how thankful I am that God gave them to me? Oh, I hope they know how much they're loved, and how grateful I am for them!

"Father, simply saying "thank You" seems so trite. But our hearts are so full, and we don't know how else to express our gratitude for these gifts which You've so graciously given. 


So, thank You. Over, and over again, thank You! 


May we raise our children with an attitude of praise and thankfulness, and show the world that we believe that they are what You have said they are in Your Word: 


Blessings, gifts and priceless treasures. 


Amen."





Jessica is a follower of Jesus Christ, the wife of an amazing husband, and the mother of four children who are the loves of her life. She is passionate about homeschooling, enjoys spending time with her family more than anything else,  would rather buy a new book than new clothes, is always starting on a diet, and thinks that chocolate is the next-best medicine to laughter. Other than reading, her favorite hobbies are music, decorating, blogging, and making attempts at photography. She blogs about this, that, and the other at www.itsthelittlethings4.blogspot.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment