Sunday, October 16, 2011

Switching to a Healthier Breakfast

I think one of the easiest meals to make changes to when switching to whole foods is breakfast. This is where I started "way back when".
Our "Before" Menu
Lucky Charms or Cap'n Crunch
Blueberry and Strawberry Muffin Mixes
Pancakes or Waffles from the WalMart freezer section with Mrs. Butterworth's syrup
Scrambled Eggs and White Toast with Jelly
Occasional Doughnuts from a local bakery
Orange Juice
Chocolate Milk
Coffee with flavored creamer and sugar

Our "After" Menu
Oatmeal
Granola with Frozen Fruit and Yogurt or Dried Fruit, Nuts and Milk
Occaional Cereal*
Homemade Whole Wheat Pancakes or Waffles with real maple syrup
Scrambled Eggs with Whole Wheat Toast and Fruit Spread or Homemade Strawberry Jam
Omelets or Frittata with Veggies and Cheese
Occasional Homemade Muffins
100% Juice (1:3 ratio juice to water)
Emergen-C packets in water
Coffee with natural sugar, no cream
We certainly didn't make all these changes at once!

I replaced our cereal with a sugary homemade granola. I've since learned how to make it using only raw honey and healthy oil along with some almonds and dried cranberries. Yum!

I made my own pancakes and waffles with white flour, then experimented on adding healthier flours and oils. We eat them once a week or less, so we do splurge on real maple syrup.

I started buying free-range eggs from a farmer and Simply Fruit jam by Smuckers. Although they told me they use no sugar, that stuff is a little suspicious to me because it tastes so sweet! We make our own strawberry jam with white sugar; however, I try to encourage plain butter, peanut butter or raw honey on toast instead.

I love coffee, but the switch to no creamer was easy. My husband started roasting his own coffee beans and it was so delicious there was no need for cream. I also prefer the taste of evaporated cane juice or sucanat. I've even used maple syrup or drank it unsweetened at times.
I know there are a lot more changes I could make.  

What changes have you made to make your breakfast healthier?

*I choose whole grain, fewer ingredients cereals and we eat them on Sunday mornings only since I still don't consider them very healthy. As an alternative to cereal, we also have our muffins on Sunday mornings when I am a bit less lazy more in the mood to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment