Friday, January 7, 2011

Health, Home and Habits

After a year of pregnancy, a new baby and officially becoming a mom with lots of kids, there are two areas that definitely need a fresh start in my life. Here, in a nutshell, are my goals for the year. Now that I'm telling you about them, I'll have even more incentive to stick with them (I hope!).

Health...
To be honest, my nutrition and fitness fell almost completely by the wayside in this fourth pregnancy. Since the holiday season followed close behind the birth of my baby, I feel like health has eluded me for quite awhile. Or rather, I've eluded it...or something like that. Getting my health back in order is one of my big goals for 2011.


Home...
With six people and their stuff in about 1100 square feet of living space (not counting the little shed in the backyard), we have to be a bit choosy about what we keep and what we get rid of around here. We've decided that we want to keep the people, but the stuff...not so much. My second big goal for the year is to simplify and organize our home so we have what we need without feeling like we are drowning. A home with less stuff is easier to clean, too,...so they tell me.


Habits...
Last year I had too many goals. It was hard to focus on any one thing so I didn't make really significant progress in any of them. This year my keywords are consistent focus. I read Leo Babauta's book earlier this year and liked his one-goal system, so I am loosely implementing that this year with the two above goals, broken down into new daily and weekly habits.

In light of my recent post, I will hasten to clarify. Although I like the simple living/minimalist philosophy of Leo's blog and books, I realize he comes from the perspective of a false religion. Therefore, I no longer subscribe to his blogs or have any of his books on my list. I just prefer to stay away from that. If you follow his ideas, just do it with wisdom and stay in the Word and prayer.

5 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! Six in 900sf? I'd love to hear more about that. We are four in 1060sf and looking at a place to buy that is 100sf smaller, but we just can't imagine living in any smaller place. Please do share more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! We didn't intend to stay in our "starter" home this long, but we're still here. I might do a series on small space living in the near future so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that would be fantastic! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! My husband just informed me that our square footage is actually 1056 and that doesn't include the basement! So, not sure if I still qualify for living in small spaces, although everyone that has seen my house asks, "How do you fit all those kids in that house?" :-) I will change the post above. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. That's what I thought I remembered. Well, now you know!

    ReplyDelete