Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Celebrating Sweetest Day: Church Family

In Colossians 2, Paul talks about a particular church being "knit together in love". This presents such a beautiful picture to me. God's kind of church is not just a place to go for entertainment and learning once or twice a week. It is a family that is knit together. A sweater is made from many individual strands but if one decided to leave the sweater, there would be a tearing apart and a hole left.

I've attended my church since I was a little girl. It wasn't until recent years that I realized how important my church family was to me. I was going through a particularly hard time in my life. I was being challenged spiritually, emotionally and even physically. I felt like I was barely holding on to life. Ever been there? No one at church ever knew what I was feeling because I kept it hidden. I probably missed a great blessing by doing so. When the Lord brought me through (as He always does!), this poem came to me and I determined to be more attentive to the individuals in my church family so they didn't have to feel that they were all alone in crisis situations.


Faces

Sitting in the joyful worship atmosphere
She raised her hand in victory and praise
Inside she was hurting, a victim of abuse
But she concealed the pain behind a face.

 Standing for prayer, he bowed his head in rev’rence
The voices of defeat within him raged
Today his boss had said, “We don’t need you now”
The worthless feelings hid behind a face.

 A mother holds a toddler squirming to get down
The musician leads in a song of grace
“I can’t go on any more” she cries in her heart
A look of calm composure on her face.

 The middle-aged couple, charter members here
Fought together all the way to church
But to see the division that’s plaguing them
‘Neath cover of faces you need search.

 Discouraged and disheartened, the pastor starts to speak
Pouring out what’s left of his heart
Each face a perfect mask before him as he preaches
He dons his own and plays his part.

 What would we see if we could pull away each face
And read only the heart and soul behind?
If we could see with Spirit eyes as our Lord saw
What sorrows, pain and heartaches would we find?

 But it is easier to come, never showing our pain
Sitting in the pew with mask in place
As the front of the building doesn’t show what’s in its walls
Neither will a heart be shown by face.



TODAY...thank the Lord for your church family. If you don't have one, find one that teaches, believes and practices the Word of God. Pray for each member of your church family (if you are in a large church, pray for those in your own small group). Pray for your pastor and let him know you are praying for him.


THEN...leave me a comment telling me what you appreciate the most about your church family.


MOST IMPORTANTLY....Remember Jesus Christ, the Head of the Church, Who loves us as His Bride. Isn't that amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment