Wednesday, September 9, 2009

To Communicate or Not to Communicate?

I was determined to do it right this time. I was frustrated with my husband. Something he was doing (or not doing) was getting to me, and it was time to talk about it. Communication is the key to a great marriage, right? He really needed me to be his "help meet" and tell him what He was doing wrong. He needed to know how upset I was. I knew that in the past I had gotten too emotional and said the wrong thing, so I decided to go to Scripture and pray about the right thing to say to get my way resolve the situation. The first one that I came to took me back a bit:
He that hath knowledge spareth his words -Prov. 17:27
"Yes, Lord," I countered, "but, he really needs to know about what he's doing wrong so we don't have more problems with this issue."

Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue, keepeth his soul from troubles. -Prov. 21:23


"But, Lord, what about communication?" I think my voice had a bit of whine in it by now, which seemed familiar somehow (my children really do act like me?).

In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise. - Prov. 10:19


I was starting to get the point. But God wasn't done yet...

He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life:but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction. -Prov. 13:3


Destruction wasn't at all what I had in mind for our ! Could my tongue really have that much impact? In my heart, I knew that it could. In my humanness, my mind still echoed the question, "But what about me--my feelings in this matter? Should I really just be quiet?"

He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he. -Prov. 16:20

I left in in the Lord's hands, and I did feel happier! Especially when I found out later my husband's thinking on the issue. Yes, he was right, and I didn't have to eat humble pie! That time.

No comments:

Post a Comment