Friday, August 28, 2009

Guest Post: Fitness for the Whole Family

This is the time of year that homeschool mothers love. We’re planning our next school adventure and enjoying the summer with our families. I am actually behind in my planning this year with my brother visiting this week, but my husband leaves today for a month and that gives me plenty of time to get my school year planned out.

I always get so excited and anxious to dive into school after summer vacation. There’s something about new topics, notebooks, novels and colored pencils that gets my girls asking constantly when the first day of school is.

I also get this same excitement right before beginning a new fitness plan. New exercises, new equipment and a new goal gets me revved up. Do you have a fitness plan for the year? You should.

My plan follows the seasons. Right now I am in a strength building program until the last week of September. I will take a week off right before my RKC certification. When I return, I will take 12 weeks and do a muscle building program. I will take 2 weeks off and then begin my fat loss program so I will be ready for the summer.

Your program might just be fat loss for the year depending on how much fat you have to lose. But you should go no longer than 12 weeks at a time before taking a week or two off.

Homeschool moms are awesome schedulers. We can create an entire year of fun lesson plans. Don’t neglect physical education. Create some goals for your children this year and plan some great physical activities to help them attain those fitness goals.

My girls are avid tumblers. My oldest competed at the national level this year. She creates her own fitness goals such as sprinting faster, jumping higher, stronger shoulders and a core of steel. I then create a physical program that will help her achieve those goals.

Goals for students that are not at such a competitive level might be 50 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, run a mile under 25 minutes, jump rope for 1 minute non-stop, etc. I’m sure your kids can help you come up with some goals to achieve this school year.

Physical education should be a part of your homeschool experience. Create family goals and strive to achieve them together. Have fun, create some memories and get fit together this school year.

But don’t neglect yourself in not planning physical activity for yourself. There is no reason why you and your children should be on separate programs. A lot of women in my Workout of the Month Club include their children in their workouts. Mom and kids do the workout together in the morning before beginning their regular studies. What the moms have found is their children are able to focus better when doing their academic work and mom has a lot more energy to make it through the day. Also, not having the idea that you need to get your workout done looming over your head all day also keeps you stress free.

Sometimes creating a workout program for the whole family can seem like a daunting task with all the other subjects you need to plan for the year, but most programs can be modified for use with your whole family. I recently created a program just for homeschool moms that include a family challenge every week. While mom learns how to feed her family correctly and lose weight quickly, the kids have a lot of fun working out with mom. It’s a win/win in my book.

If you need help putting together a plan for your family this school year, be sure and visit our free membership site www.FitHomeschoolMoms.ning.com to get the support you need. We’ll get all your questions answered and help set you on the path to a fit and healthy family.

Coach Angela is the author of “The Fit Homeschool Moms Transformation Guide” and owner of Inspiration Fitness, Inc. She is the mother of 4 beautiful daughters and has been homeschooling for 12 years. To receive a free workout plan visit her blog www.HomeschoolFitnessCoach.com and download your free “Bookbag Workout for Homeschool Moms”.

No comments:

Post a Comment