Monday, July 2, 2012

Reader Question: Can Christians Live However They Want?

This was the question discussed in a recent group of people...Christian people. The general consensus was no, Christians cannot live however they want.

That got me to thinking about my last 19 years as a Christian. Have I really spent those years not living the way I wanted? What have I been missing?

While I understand that temptation and the pull of the human flesh are real, I think this question suggests that Christians have to live by a code that goes against all that they want to do. I think this is simply false. The Bible says that Christ's commandments are not difficult for us. We love to do His will because we love Him!

So, I believe that Christians can do whatever they want because a genuine Christian will only want to do the perfect will of God. When he is tempted away from that will, his love for his Savior will be stronger than the temptation because of a carefully preserved relationship with Him.

What do you think?





6 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Jennifer! I'm doing what I want to do :) So glad that Jesus changes our wants and desires when we give Him ourselves completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And thanks for your comment, Kimberly!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely right!!! Those who think being a Christian is only a list of rules, have not tried it yet. It is a JOY to serve Jesus!!! :0) He makes life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to think on this phenomenon...the biggest mark of true Christianity is a changed life. It's not something that is forced or put on. We really have different desires and are new creatures. Although we have freedom to do whatever we want, we want the things that are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hannah! Not at all forced because we truly are free. We can walk away anytime, but why would we want to?

      Delete