Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Faithful Mothers

When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
II Timothy 1:5

 With May being a time to celebrate Mother’s Day, I have recently been thinking of the many faithful mothers who have impacted my life.  First and foremost is my own precious Mother. She has been a rock in my life and had been my best friend until I gained a new one in my husband. The list continues as it includes those I watched as a child and even some who have been a pattern for me as my own family has grown.  Women of prayer that I heard crying out to God.  Ladies of grace who demonstrated it in their daily lives.  Devoted mothers who were determined to see their children follow in the footsteps of Jesus and not only their children, but even others that they could influence.  
Recently, one of those Godly mothers that have greatly impacted my life was privileged to go to Heaven.  This caused great grief, yet there is joy in my heart to think of how she is pain free and celebrating in Heaven. Other mothers of faith that were influential in my spiritual development are home with Jesus, as well.  This gives me a deeper desire to make it to that Celestial City. Only God knows when the departure time is for each of us. Until then, I aspire to have an unfeigned faith that dwelt first in my grandma, my mother and other mothers of faith to be exemplified in my life.

Image Detail
In one of my college classes, the question was asked “What would you want on your gravestone?” Peculiar question, but it has been imbedded in my mind since then. My response was the simple word, “Faithful”. That is what I want to be known for. Faithful to my God! Faithful to my husband! Faithful to my children! Faithful to my church! Faithful to my family! Faithful to my friends! Faithful to sinners! Faithful to life! As I live my life, my prayer is that others can say that even now.   When I step across the span of time and space to join those other faithful mothers that have impacted me, my deepest desire is that individuals that are left behind will unequivocally say, “She was faithful!”.  

~Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment