Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Family of God (Guest Post)

There's no place quite like home, is there? And there is nothing quite as special as being part of a close-knit family. As women, we cherish our God-given roles as daughters, sisters, and mothers.

I wonder, though, how often do we pause to reflect on our place in the family of God?

Daughter . . .

We tend to smile when we overhear a child bragging on all that his daddy can do. However, as a daughter of the King, we can rest assured that our Father truly is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think." (Ephesians 3:20)

Our Father loves, protects, and provides for His children. And, like an earthly father, "no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly." (Psalm 84:11)

As daughters, our purpose in life should be to please our Father in everything we say or do. We can then enjoy his smile of approval on our lives. "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

Sister . . .

I am privileged to have a sister that is one of my closest friends. She never fails to listen, understand, and encourage me.

Likewise, our fellow believers are our brothers and sisters in the Lord. "For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister . . . " (Matthew 12:50) When we take time to encourage and care for our spiritual sisters, we are strengthening the family of God.

Mother . . .

There's just nothing quite like being a mother, is there? Watching our children grow and learn new things fills our hearts with pride and joy. Day after day, we work diligently to train and nurture little hearts. Long days, sleepless nights, colicky babies, endless laundry and dishes--no task is too much for a mother.

In I Timothy 1:2, Paul refers to Timothy as "my own son in the faith." What a privilege to be a "mother in Israel" (Judges 5:7) as spiritual babes grow and learn more about God's way! Diligent teaching and nurturing may take time and effort, but it will be repaid with spiritual children growing to maturity.
I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God,
I've been washed in the fountain,
Cleansed by His blood.
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the family, the family of God. --William J. and Gloria Gaither


Judy is a wife of eighteen years and a stay-at-home mother of seven. She writes about homemaking, homeschooling, and large-family living at Contented at Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment