Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Learning or Living?

This post titled, Stop Studying Life and Start Living It, really got my attention. You all know how much I love to read and study, but I thought how futile that is if I never apply what I have learned.

This applies to us spiritually as well as in the practicalities of life. The Bible talks about those who are ever learning but never coming to the knowledge of the truth. There is a time to seek Him, but there is also a time to find.

For those of us who have found Him, it's not enough to keep learning as we read His Word. We must faithfully apply those lessons to our lives. Even when we don't want to. Even when it's hard.

Here's an example of what I mean. In the quiet of that devotional hour, praying for peace is easy. Easy because no kids are up yet, you haven't seen the boss yet and no one else is there but you and the Lord to produce conflict. However, when the kids are screaming or that boss is giving you impossible demands, that is the time to take a deep breath, send a prayer to the Lord and remember. Just what was it I learned about peace in my quiet time this morning?

May God help us all to stop learning for the learning's sake and to start living for Him.

1 comment:

  1. You hit the proverbial nail on the head. It's so easy to feel peaceful and calm when all the little mouths are still smiling in sleep. But the very minute they're awake...look out! :) I need a LOT of work in this area. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete