Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quick, Easy, Healthy: Lazy Mom's Frittata

Doesn't the name frittata sound like something to slave over for a good portion of a morning? Well, it did to me for many years. The first frittata recipe I tried was fairly easy, but way too time-consuming for my taste. Until I forgot to stir my scrambled eggs one morning....and I got an idea. Which stuck and is still a staple breakfast for us usually once a week.

Photo Credit


All you need:
6 eggs (adjust to how many you're serving--see disclaimer below)
shredded cheese
chopped onion (optional)
other chopped veggies (optional)
1-2 T. butter
salt and pepper, to taste 
cast iron skillet with lid (essential, for me....may be optional for you)



1. Melt butter in skillet.
2. Beat eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl as you would for scrambled eggs.
3. Pour beaten eggs into skillet when butter is completely melted.
4. Gently loosen edges from side of pan with a spatula as they set.
5. When top is almost set, sprinkle with veggies and cheese and remove from heat.
6. Top with a lid for a few moments to melt cheese.
7. Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter and serve them plain or with a spoonful of salsa.

Disclaimer: This recipe was tested in my kitchen which wasn't quite presentable enough to include a photo of. The amount of servings depends on how hungry my kids are and the preparation time depends on the number of diaper blowouts, sibling spats and rescue-the-baby-from-consuming-refrigerator-magnets drills.

No comments:

Post a Comment