Monday, December 13, 2010

What Kind of Blessing is a Child?

There it is again...the question that I've been asked more times than I can count in the last month...as I sit in the doctor's office with my one-month-old. Right between,"How is he sleeping?" and "How often does he eat?" he drops the question. I've heard it from friends and strangers alike, yet I still don't know how to answer. "Do you want more?"

A thousand thoughts flit through my mind, but none of them form into the right words. I stammer. I stall. I evade the question. I believe wholeheartedly that children are a blessing from the Lord. I've been blessed four times, but I'm still not sure what kind of blessing children are.

Some see them as being like a monetary blessing. If I had four crisp one hundred dollar bills and someone asked, "Do you want more?" could I honestly say, "No, I have enough." ?

Others see them as being like a culinary blessing. If I had just indulged in a large piece of chocolate cake and someone asked, "Do you want more?" I might want more but realize that I could hold no more.

"Blessed is the man who has his quiver full of them." Ultimately God decides what a full quiver is, be it zero or twenty. But that doesn't help me answer the question....do I want more?

How do you answer the question? Is there an answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment