Monday, September 6, 2010

If Your Life Were A Book...

In case you didn't know by now, I love to read. It has been one of my favorite things to do since I was 4 years old. I am even weird enough to read the acknowledgments in the front of the book. I look at the date it was published. I notice the endorsements, and I never skip the preface or epilogue.

Each of us is writing a story with our lives. Most of us are getting a pretty good idea what the plot is by now although there is no way to skip to the back of the book and see the ending. We can all anticipate a few unexpected twists and turns in the action (or inaction) before our book is closed.

                                                                        Photo Credit

However, maybe we should tear ourselves away from the story for a moment, and consider these things about the book of our life:

What does the book cover say about you? No, one cannot always judge a book by its cover, but many people do pass over books after viewing the outside only. This is a sad but true fact of our lives. Our outward appearance and demeanor will greatly affect the influence we have on potential readers.


What is the title of your book? It seems like this would be too important of a detail to overlook, but so many do. They plunge into the story without figuring out the overall purpose of the book. Each life must have purpose if it is going to make an impact for God.

To whom is your book dedicated? Yes, I love to see to whom an author dedicates his book after the many grueling hours of work. Often it is a spouse or close family member. Other times it is someone who influences the subject matter to a great extent. I trust all of us dedicate our life books to our Creator, God.


Who are listed in the acknowledgments of your book? For those of you who don't read these, the acknowledgments simply list all the people that made the book possible and helped the author in the writing, editing and publishing process. I will forever be thankful for the careful editing from my Godly parents, the encouragement from Godly friends and mentors at key points in my life, and those who most influence my subject matter: my husband and children.

Remember, the important thing isn't the length of the book, the cover design or making the best seller list. It is simply this: Do readers walk away from my book with a deeper desire for God and the pursuit of Him? Oh, that my answer--and yours--would be a resounding yes!

2 comments:

  1. Great analogies! I especially identified with the cover and the title - both very important, but things that most of us spend very little time on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love to read books and have often thought of my life like a story being written. I hope that Jesus is the main character in my life's story, but it is incredible how many times I try to take that position. Thanks for the insightful thoughts.
    I came upon your blog through the Homekeeper's Journal. It's kind of chilly today, and I was trying to find some motivation and inspiration in getting my home spruced up for the fall and came across these blogs this morning. It's always helpful to get fresh ideas, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete