Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March Wrap Up

One fourth of 2010 is now (almost) history! I know I've skipped a few Friday posts lately. Bear with me--I hope to get back on track in April.

Most of my links this month pertain to moms, so if you're not a mom, you may want to skip this post. I guess I've needed extra help and encouragement in the parenting department lately!

A Letter to My Children about Marriage @ Generation Cedar was insightful and exactly the message I hope our marriage conveys to our children.
 
10 Things I Didn't Learn in Homeschool @ Joyfulhelpmeet were the tongue-in-cheek but thought-provoking words of a homeschool graduate.

I Looked into the Eyes of My Children @ A High and Noble Calling was convicting and made me aware of how my own shortcomings affect my children.

I Just Wanna Say to all the Bystanders @ Savvy Little Women brought the "finally someone who understands!" tears to my eyes while leaving me howling with laughter and giving me new purpose to be the "right kind" of bystander someday.

Easter Story Cookies @ Women Living Well is a creative Easter tradition I hope to try this year that combines something the kids love (baking and eating together) with something my kids need (a better understanding of the Easter story).

If you like short ingredient lists like me, you might want to try these recipes I found for a snack, an entree, a dessert, 2 side dishes and a kid-friendly treat:


Homemade Granola Bars @ New Nostalgia
Layered Cheesy Salsa Enchiladas and Easy Butterscotch Bars @ Heavenly Homemakers
Sweet Potato Fries and Oven Brown Rice @ Nourishing Heart and Home
Pudding Pops @ The Simple Wife

Books I Read:

I took a little break this month and did some lighter but still profitable reading.

I laughed out loud many times as I read Matthew Paul Turner's Churched. I grew up in a fundamental Baptist school and could relate to so much of his story on that level. Would I recommend this book to you? Not really. Turner ended the book sounding like he's still searching and like he's thrown out many of the conservative values just because some of them were "out there". Still, he simply shared his story in an engaging and hilarious way that was entertaining if not particularly helpful on a spiritual level.

Ted Dekker's Green completed the Circle series with characteristic surprise elements. Truthfully, most fiction bores me because I think there are so many more lessons to learn from real life. However, Ted Dekker, weird though some of his writing may be, relates the Truth to each story in a way that causes me to think long after I've laid down the book and to hunger after more of that Truth in God's Word. One disclaimer about Green: I don't subscribe to vampires and found that part of the story a little far-fetched. Yet, who can read a Ted Dekker book without the word far-fetched coming to mind at least once?

On the more serious side, I re-read Ted Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart and made a decision. This is the most Biblically-based book on parenting I have ever read, and I know if I follow it consistently that I will be on the right track with my children. Reading conflicting ideas from different books just confuses me and my children. If I need parenting help that clarifies the Word of God, I will continue to turn to this book.

I hope your March was beautiful and that you have a blessed Easter week celebrating our Lord's death and resurrection!

No comments:

Post a Comment