Friday, February 26, 2010

What I've Learned from Reading to My Kids

When I first started reading to my little girl 7 years ago, I did so because it was the right thing to do. As her two little brothers have joined the reading circle, we've probably read hundreds if not thousands of books over the years. I never realized how much I would enjoy and even learn in the process. I gave my more in-depth lessons learned from Pinocchio here, but here are some shorter lessons I have learned:

  • Disney's Princess Stories have shown me that being faithful in       daily work with a sweet attitude gives you a much better chance of getting a prince than competing for the kingdom. (i.e. A shattered glass slipper is much preferred to shattering the glass ceiling! :-)

  • Amelia Bedelia has taught me that a good cook trumps an intelligent woman most of the time.


  • The Berenstain Bears has taught me just how annoying a know-it-all mom is especially when she treats her husband like one of the kids.

  • Curious George has taught me that a child left to himself WILL get in trouble.

  • Arthur has taught me exactly what I DON'T want sibling relationships to look like in our home.

  • Ramona has given me a glimpse through my child's eyes at some of the perplexities of their world.

  • Dr. Seuss has shown me that it's o.k. to be a little silly. (Just beware of letting strange cats in!)


  • Little Critter has shown me that every family is special.

What about you? What have you learned from reading to your children?


Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment